2024-01-16 Agenda

Start Date: 2024-01-16
Present: secretary, helpdesk, chair, pro, sysadmin, events, ordinary-member, events, helpdesk, webmaster, ordinary-member, treasurer
Absent: sysadmin
Excused: first-year-rep, gdo, vice-chair, sysadmin
Late:


Person Year Position
chair 4th Chair
webmaster 4th Webmaster
helpdesk 4th HelpDesk
events 4th Events
ordinary-member 4th Ordinary Member
sysadmin 3rd SysAdmin
treasurer 3rd Treasurer
gdo 3rd GDO
sysadmin 3rd SysAdmin
sysadmin 2nd SysAdmin
vice-chair 2nd Vice-Chair
helpdesk 2nd HelpDesk
secretary 2nd Secretary
ordinary-member 2nd Ordinary Member
pro 2nd PRO
events 1st Events
first-year-rep 1st 1st Year Rep

Agenda:

Please add your Redbrick username beside agenda items.
If you cannot attend the meeting, please inform secretary with your reason.

  • Check previous minutes - secretary

  • Chair:

    • Review of Semester 1 - see Retrospective - chair
    • Old servers on the wall of the U - chair
    • I am giving a talk on Aperture this semester because it’s my last chance to, and I would like it to be recorded. - chair
  • Vice-Chair:

  • SysAdmins:

    • thecollegeview.com -> thecollegeview.redbrick.dcu.ie -> thecollegeview.ie - sysadmin
    • some security stuff - sysadmin
      • Terrapin - all sorted now
      • SMTP smuggling
        • mostly mitigated, will need more work to update postfix including upgrading NixOS on hardcase 🤮
      • all happened over Christmas break - the best time for disclosure 🙃
    • Minecraft servers are go!
      • completely redesigned network ingress (thanks chair)
      • ordinary-member’s world now hosted on redbrick
  • Events:

    • HERE WE GO:
      • Preparations for Dublin CS Ball (17th Feb) going well, need to sit down with C&S - events
      • Event this week - Handheld Console Event, party games for days - events
      • Trinity and Dog Patch wondering if we’re avl. for Hackathon (Feb 22nd) - events
      • Talk from John Looney (Reddit) later this sem. (Maybe Week 6/8) we pick the topic (hardware/servers/cloud/career) - events
      • Intersoc with Airsoft later this semester? Week 6 or 8, depending - events
    • Deep Breath
      • More talks (hopefully) from Dell, Mastercard, Activision - reach out to contacts - events
      • Tech Week? SISTEM is dead, long live DCU supremacy - events
      • Intersoc Ideas - Karaoke with AIMS, Podcasting with MPS, Gaming with Esports - events
      • I will be unavailable Wk3 Wednesday, 31st January all day - events
  • Treasurer:

    • money do be moneying treasurer
    • reimbursements to be done today
    • statements for sistem ready online (i think)
    • dont mention my name with dell.
  • HelpDesk:

    • event form submitted? -> done, thanks helpdesk - helpdesk
    • hackerclub for tmr is Python OOP - helpdesk
    • will try and make list for the entire sem - helpdesk
  • Webmaster:

    • Website is being actively worked on.
    • DOCUMENTATION!!! + Open governance
      • Reasoning + requirements of website + services documented to aid future committee in maintaining/evolving the services.
    • Webgroup + Blockbot tickets and feature ideas
  • Secretary:

    • MPS interested in doing an intersoc -secretary
    • Intersoc Ball MPS Photographer - secretary
    • thecollegeview - secretary
  • PRO:

    • Tomorrow’s hackerclub has not been approved yet. Worth noting for timing reasons? point mentioned by helpdesk earlier - pro
  • GDO:

    • my little update… gots a busy few months ahead of me so if and when possible please have events and hackerclub provisional list set up with accurate dates. other than that posters be postering
  • First Year Rep:

  • Ordinary Members:

    • Harry Arkwright reached out to me regarding Hackathon. Events??? ordinary-member
    • Minecraft Server up thank you so much! QOL? - pub talk ordinary-member
    • Podcasting is awesome - i forgot to write it down but was literally just thinking of it today ordinary-member
  • Common Room Committee:

  • Points of Discussion:

    • Webgroup initial recruitment… cold start problem - webmaster

AOB:

  • sysadmin BB hoodie - helpdesk
  • Georjie RB hoodie - sysadmin
  • Welcome back and happy Tuesday! - secretary

Minutes:

Started at: 18:40
Does Committee agree on last weeks minutes: yes

  • Points of Info:

    • Chair Update:

      • email siobhan about servers in u
      • may not be any issues, estates don’t mind
      • servers on wall hides damage
      • giving talk on apeture this semester
        • wants it recorded
        • could upload to youtube
        • slot him in
    • Vice-Chair Update:

      • Absent - No Updates
    • SysAdmin Update:

      • thecollegeview
        • problems with c&s, domain not paid
        • lots of moving around
        • moved to its own domain now
        • everything updated, running as smooth as possible on old redbrick
        • chair was a big help, helped with overwhelming and stress
        • thanks to committee for being there when needed
        • other rootholders have been great with tech issues
      • security
        • mostly straightforward
        • terrapin - irish csert emailed - iss wanted fixed
        • patched on all servers that would be vunreable (external)
        • iss complained, we fixed internal servers
      • stmp
        • upgrading nixos, mail needed, big hoohah on hardcase
        • that will be fun
        • counting on same help
        • everything happened over christmas
      • mc server
        • up and running, got the ports (your man in iss)
        • set up just before dcu closed up for christmas
        • chair architeched a lot of it
        • good bit of documentation, needs tyding then will be published on docs
        • ordinary-member’s world moved onto main rb vanilla server
        • gamesoc in the process of getting their custom minecraft server on redbrick
      • more security stuff
        • dcu moving to more secure email, domain key
        • deadline is end of feb, beginning of march (gmail will stop recieveding mail if we dont have dkim)
    • Events Update:

      • dublin cs ball
        • college collab
        • orginasation going well
        • still need meeting with c&s, event approved, nothing heard back
      • event this week
        • handheld console event
        • bring hdmi leads, controllers, party games etc
        • socials said games night, but actually day 2-3 pm, l114
        • using monitors as displays
      • mint person
        • want to get involved with trinity and dogpatch for hackathon
        • issues with both trinity and dogpatch in the past
        • just after ball
        • if no need to give money, likely yes
        • bring up in next week
      • john loony - reddit
        • knows a lot of stuff
        • letting us choose a topic
        • hadware/cloud/career etc
        • he is big brain
        • going through mockup with events
        • provisinal event plan for event
        • lorcan (zergless) got us in touch with john
        • career the main, but can do a poll
      • airsoft
        • possible intersoc
        • 20-25 euro per ticket
        • everything needed would be provided
        • week 6 - 8
        • sounds great, elements of two different socities (otherwise just pulling rb members into airsoft)
        • can see what rb elements we can think of (destructive data loss :wink:)
        • will think about it
      • talks
        • looking for dell, mastercard, demonware, activison etc
        • contacts:
          • dell - treasurer
          • mastercard - vice-chair
      • tech week
        • no sistem
        • last year didn’t go well, nobody wants to do it this year
        • supposed to be in dcu, 2 weeks prior, cancelled and had to move to ucd
      • intersoc ideas
        • aims, mps, esports
        • will go into a giant message in #provisional-event-plan
        • idea doc in google drive
      • events not here wk 3 wednesday 31st Jan all day, airsoft event
    • Treasurer Update:

      • around 960 euro still
      • most reimbursments came out of hoodie
      • math do be mathing
      • paragraph will be submitted later
      • revolut money being sent to bank account later today
      • chair reimbursment being processed
      • treasurer reimbusment also
      • sistem statements on 365 app
      • don’t mention treasurer’s name to dell
    • Helpdesk Update:

      • event form submitted - thanks helpdesk
      • hackerclub - oop python
      • list of all topics, marked by week, given to gdo for graphics
    • Webmaster Update:

      • website actively being worked on
      • documentation and open governance
        • all in the head, gonna get it all down
        • next people will know requirments, and reasons why considered
        • heart eyes emoji
        • new tech comes out, can look at guide and see wether to consider or not
      • webgroup and blockbot
        • got some ideas, getting up on ideas board
    • Secretary Update:

      • mps intersoc
        • potentially websites / podcasting events
        • will discuss in the future
      • intersoc photographer
        • tud already went ahead and got one
        • no need for mps or photosoc ones anymore
    • PRO Update:

      • point mentioned by helpdesk
    • GDO Update:

    • First Year Rep Update:

    • Ordinary Member Update:

      • went smoothly, good person, was wrote before dogpatch info
      • mc server up, thanks to everyone for your help
      • quality of life stuff,
      • podcast event with mps, possible idea,
      • anything you need let ordinary-member know
    • Common Room Committee Update:

  • Points of Discusion:

    • webgroup event
      • after hackerclub
      • based on content for hackerclub, have them matching
      • can just look at backlog, see issue, and start working on it
      • outside of committee, not much visual interest in webgroup
      • need a spark to hit the ground running
      • good set of initial tickets needed, after that will work on it’s own
      • no pizza unless you join webgroup :wink:
      • diamond armor, etc, free rewards we can give out
      • if interested or have ideas for webgroup stuff, let webmaster know
  • AOB:

    • sysadmin bb hoodie
      • getting money back
    • georjie hoodie
      • was on list, but not in the box
      • xl hoodie
      • only 3 xl hoodies, between bb and rb (2 blanks 1 name)
      • guessing his was given away instead of a blank one
      • know who it is, got email
      • in process of being solved
    • blueblock hoodies
      • blueblock hoodies are very nice
      • founder of blueblock redbrick not happy
      • blue on the brick is a bit brighter
    • hoodies
      • mostly committee left
      • if you didn’t get rb hoodie, meet chair in server room
  • Action Items:

    • gdo - Make posters for next week’s activities
    • all - Refresher’s fair: Glasnevin Campus, The U Building: Wednesday the 24th of January from 10:00am to 3:00pm
    • events - Event workshop @ 1:30pm on the 23rd of Jan in the Hive
    • pro - Social media management workshop @ 12:30pm on Tuesday the 30th in the Hive
    • all - if interested in webgroup or have any ideas, let webmaster know

Retrospective

chair

  • :green_heart: We had almost no mishaps with events that we ran, everything appeared mostly smooth! GG events!
  • :green_heart: gdo and pro were locked in, big thanks there. Socials look great!
  • :green_heart: Money is hard, but treasurer did a lot of work to make sure it was mostly on track, especially because they’re in 3rd year
  • :green_heart: sysadmin put in stupid amounts of work to get Redbrick more secure than it has ever been
  • :green_heart: I almost forgot about helpdesk, but that’s because there have been no problems. Super smooth ride folks, and I hear a good retention rate!
  • :broken_heart: Fosdem - let’s aim to not have this happen again
  • :broken_heart: Engsoc conflicts are bad for everyone involved. Let’s try and be more tolerable of how they work around problems and make decisions, but make sure that we don’t let them walk over us
  • :broken_heart:/:green_heart: Some people are doing loads, some people are doing less, we are a committee, and there’s 17 of us for a reason, let’s try our best to spread the load out a little more, Redbrick should not be the reason you fail a module (or two in my case) in college.
  • :broken_heart:/:green_heart: When we have communication, things go super smoothly, which we saw, but because there’s 17 of us, sometimes it can break down. Nobody ever got hurt by having too much information.
  • :broken_heart: Panic should never be the first port of call after something goes wrong, take a breath and think about the next step and who you need to contact to get that next step.

helpdesk

  • most hackerclubs went smooth - gj helpdesk
  • overall good attendance and interactions, got some good feedback from first years

gdo

  • :smiley_cat: everyone is enjoying events and still showing up to hackerclub
  • :smiley_cat: chair keeping meetings short
  • :smiley_cat: strong committee attendance at meetings (unlike last year 🫣 )
  • :smiley_cat: newsletters be looking good
  • :smiley_cat: vice-chair trying his best
  • :crying_cat_face: i stole secretary cats
  • :crying_cat_face: more committee attendance needed at events
  • :crying_cat_face: need more of a schedule… a lot of last minute work +1 @chair
  • :crying_cat_face: gots to keep minimal society conflicts +1 @chair

events

  • :heart: Been mostly good, pizza has been a win
  • :heart: Solid regular audience
  • :heart: Brickbowl went smoothly
  • :heart: treasurer has been great, thanks treasurer
  • :heart: Socials have been awesome
  • :heart: Common room has been a great way to maintain interest and is a great resource in itself
  • :broken_heart: No FOSDEM, really sorry, but we Ball
  • :broken_heart: Sorry for late notice secretary, I’m trying

sysadmin

  • :heart: the commitee as a whole, events, PRO and GDO did a great job promoting redbrick on socials and with events like brick the planet +1 @chair
  • :green_heart: helpdesk did a great job with hackerclub, especially keeping it relevant and entertaining to first years. Great attendance so far, lets keep it up!
  • :blue_heart: webmaster has done a lot of great work researching, organising and putting structures in place for both the webgroup and website. Though the work done so far may not be easily visible let’s make sure we document it and keep the ball rolling!
  • 😢 communication has been a challenge at some times in the committee but despite this we’ve managed to work through it. Let’s try to keep each other up to date with what’s going on to minimise these challenges going forward. +1 @chair

secretary

  • :heart: Events have run smoothly with minimal issues
  • :heart: Non academic events worked well - Brickbowl
  • :heart: Committee have been great and everyone getting on well working together
  • :crying_cat_face: Gathering last minute info for the newsletters, sometimes we were planning events on Saturday/Sunday
  • :crying_cat_face: No FOSDEM - next year we do it

pro

  • :heart: (repeat from anon. retrospect form) Committee has been golden throughout the semester. I gotta give credit to all of the members for all of their help!
  • :heart: Events for the most part have gone well with little-to-none problems. Aside from the original games night being derailed due to a lack of communication, everything else ran smooth as butter. Hackerclubs were grand! secretary hit the nail on the head with noting external events and how well they’ve gone!
  • :broken_heart: FOSDEM. Already noted by chair. Don’t need to repeat it. Not just the travel problem, but also the same sentence(s), word for word.
  • :broken_heart: Biggest problem that I noted throughout the problem, noted earlier, but I feel that communication is the underlying issue that’s within the committee. Little bit unbalanced with three of the same voices continually being seen, with other voices being called upon for their respective roles rather than a diverse and varied output. Namely in decision making.

treasurer

  • :heart: much nicer time on committee this year compared to previous
  • :heart: very understanding cmt
  • :heart: good teamwork :>>
  • :heart: extremely good communication
  • :broken_heart: bank do be banking
  • :broken_heart: some treasurer stuff only chair, events and myself knows - so i could work on transparency with the rest of the cmt

ordinary-member

  • Communication is pretty key but i think multple folks have said that alredy

  • :wink:If you need me to do anything just LMK!

  • :neutral_face: Common room seems to be v tense point of talking. Can we take it easy?

  • :+1: Hackerclub was awesome, events were great to be a part of

  • :smile: Its been a pleasure! Great sem IMO.

helpdesk

  • :heart: Hackerclub had a good reception last sem, might try to make things more interactive this semester as topics get more interesting

webmaster

  • :heart: Events have been stellar (except for one iirc) and the committee has a proper system in place that works, which is a massive improvement from last year. MAJOR props to our Events Officers, GDO and PRO! :+1:
  • :heart: Hackerclubs have seen the most improvement in my humble opinion, they strike the balance between being relevant for first year academics and entertainment for everyone. Great job Helpdesk!
  • :heart: sysadmin, he has done a solid job with maintaining the services, migrating over to aperture and defining requirements and risks for services in the future. I have appreciated our chats about Redbrick.
  • :heart: Newletters and finance have been timely and reliable, very proud of our Secretary and Treasurer!
  • :heart: chair has put a lot of effort into Redbrick, and ensuring it will thrive after he (and I) are gone.
  • :broken_heart: While communication has improved tenfold from last year, there is always room for improvement.
  • :broken_heart: No FOSDEM…

2024-01-23 Agenda

Start Date: 2024-01-23
Present: secretary, helpdesk, chair, pro, gdo, events, vice-chair, ordinary-member, events, helpdesk, ordinary-member, sysadmin, webmaster
Absent: treasurer
Excused: sysadmin, first-year-rep
Late:


Person Year Position
chair 4th Chair
webmaster 4th Webmaster
helpdesk 4th HelpDesk
events 4th Events
ordinary-member 4th Ordinary Member
treasurer 3rd Treasurer
gdo 3rd GDO
sysadmin 3rd SysAdmin
sysadmin 2nd SysAdmin
vice-chair 2nd Vice-Chair
helpdesk 2nd HelpDesk
secretary 2nd Secretary
ordinary-member 2nd Ordinary Member
pro 2nd PRO
events 1st Events
first-year-rep 1st 1st Year Rep

Agenda:

Please add your Redbrick username beside agenda items.
If you cannot attend the meeting, please inform secretary with your reason.

  • Check previous minutes - secretary

  • Chair:

  • Vice-Chair:

    • Engsoc conflict - vice-chair
    • bank signatories - vice-chair
  • SysAdmins:

    • servers be serving
    • new jobs on aperture
    • consul DNS sorted finally! - v. cool thanks chair
  • Events:

    • Handheld Consoles event - great success, very chaotic - events
    • Meeting tomorrow 2.30pm with Siobhán for Ball/Tech Week - events
    • ‘Mandatory’ events meeting was attended - events
    • Brick the Planet prizes ready to go, hamper shipped and some drives handed out - events
    • Build-a-brick organised for tomorrow - events
    • Entire provisional event plan posted - events
  • Treasurer:

  • HelpDesk:

    • Hackerclub for this week is Docker - helpdesk
    • will be show casing some of my docker homelab config for real world usage lol - helpdesk
    • it works on my machine duhh - helpdesk
    • event already approved and announced, thanks helpdesk and pro - helpdesk
  • Webmaster:

    • Website prototype is LIVE @ webmaster.redbrick.dcu.ie
    • If you have cool ideas or questions about website plans, please @ webmaster (every little helps)
  • Secretary:

    • Refreshers fair wednesday, we doing it? - secretary
  • PRO:

  • GDO:

  • First Year Rep:

  • Ordinary Members:

    • haiiii :3 ordinary-member
    • Minecraft is going crazy good. Great to see so much fun happening! (server rules, mods?)ordinary-member
  • Common Room Committee:

    • WEEE PCs! Many for many purposes, general membership is pleased - events
    • Magic room needs to be cleaned up - events
  • Points of Discussion:

AOB:

  • Happy Tuesday! - secretary

Minutes:

Started at: 18:07
Does Committee agree on last weeks minutes: yes

  • Points of Info:

    • Chair Update:

      • Resign
    • Vice-Chair Update:

      • engsoc conflict
        • not good for rb
        • vice-chair and chair talked
        • best option is to say nothing, step back
        • be non-confrontitational
        • if issues arise, bring up at meetings instead of addressing
      • bank signatories
        • sysadmin resigned, down a signatory
        • need to change that
        • no benefit changing it now before AGM
        • needs 2 signatories to change one, not all 3
        • can get a letter from sysadmin stating she resigned
    • SysAdmin Update:

      • servers are serving
        • lots of happy noises
        • things are working well
        • sysadmin restarted mc server 3 times (resign)
      • new jobs on apeture
        • helpdesk bot, novas timetable, solar racing, blockbot
        • everything is on the github jobs repo
      • consul DNS
        • why mc server restarted
        • can resolve stuff internally now, close to production ready
      • need to open ticket with iss to get tender stuff, ram, get money from c&s to pay
    • Events Update:

      • handheld console event
        • went very well, good attendence
        • dilligaf was also present, with consoles
        • meeting tomorrow 2:30 regarding dublin cs ball
      • tech week week 5
      • events meeting
        • not well attended, but we attended
        • how to upload event form to OMS
        • double upload not fixed
      • brick the planet, hamper has been shipped to hollow’s irish address, adam got drives
        • will get next one tomorrow
        • found retro images on old redbrick drive, have some cool pics
        • events - throw up on drive
        • copy of old redbrick logo
      • build a brick
        • events and 2 other judges needed
      • provisional event has been posted
        • any issues let events know
      • egm
        • week 4
        • exam is happening in week 3
        • sysadmin needs to write, will happen before egm
        • more news once it’s done
      • chair talk, week 5
    • Treasurer Update:

      • refunded sysadmin for bb hoodie, paid but didnt order
      • chair reimbursed full amount
      • events refunded for pizza last week
    • Helpdesk Update:

      • hackerclub this week
        • docker
        • slides mostly done
        • if enough time, will show docker homelab configs
        • chair has configs to show as well
        • can show how they work in redbrick
        • event approved and announced
      • apologies to gdo for not having full list done
    • Webmaster Update:

      • website demo
        • not much media / images, solid foundation
        • light mode is blinding :eyes:
        • cool interactive landing page
        • rest of website will have different stuff
        • documents like open gov and maybe admin blog involved
        • when pushed to repo, will get pulled and put on website
        • anything about website let webmaster
        • create issues on website repo, tagged with webgroup
        • throw any issues, features, requests to webgroup backlog
        • nice job webmaster
    • Secretary Update:

      • refreshers fair
        • 10am to 3pm tomorrow
        • the usual big socities will be doing it
        • in the street in the U
        • if someone hasn’t joined redbrick by now, they won’t be
        • not doing it
    • PRO Update:

      • don’t tag c&s just mention, gdo will teach pro
      • no updates
    • GDO Update:

      • no updates
    • First Year Rep Update:

      • no updates
    • Ordinary Member Update:

      • minecraft
        • going well
        • lots of turnout
        • some small conflits, may need to put some rules
        • will talk to sysadmin about welcome message and rules
      • ordinary member jobs
        • week of EGM, need ordinary member to tally votes, dispatched around the place with posters, because we making changes to constitution
        • announce EGM a week in advanced
        • wednesday 2 weeks, see can we get it announced in 7 days time, wednesdsay week
        • 1 sys admin, constitution changes
        • dispatch to get printed
        • cash only before €4, mention for society for discount, send from redbrick email
    • Common Room Committee Update:

      • Weee PCs
        • told about them this morning
        • were going to be thrown out, going to good homes
        • will be replacing magic room pcs with them
      • magic room
        • is a state
        • stuff can be there for a day, any more is a bit much
        • lots of random stuff in there
        • magic room seems to be mainly engsoc run
        • we should avoid cleaning the magic room
        • no need to do anything
  • Points of Discusion:

    • social media manager workshop
      • next tuesday - pro
  • AOB:

    • admin bootcamp (event layout for the day)
      • tomorrow
      • 2 event plans submitted for this week
      • hackerclub and build a brick (admin)
      • have events done by friday
      • activity happens weekly (poster the same)
      • event is different (need different poster)
      • 3 events, c&s only know about 2, room is still booked, no problem
      • sysadmin giving talk at 3
      • hackerclub at 2
      • build a brick at 1
      • newsletter - 3 seperate events
  • Action Items:

    • gdo - Make posters for next week’s activities
    • sysadmin - need to open ticket with iss to get tender stuff, ram, get money from c&s to pay
    • events - meeting wednesday 24th at 2:30 regarding dublin cs ball
    • events - throw up found redbrick images on drive
    • pro - Social media management workshop @ 12:30pm on Tuesday the 30th in the Hive
    • sysadmin - write admin exam

2024-01-30 Agenda

Start Date: 2024-01-30
Present: secretary, helpdesk, chair, pro, sysadmin, events, vice-chair, ordinary-member, events, helpdesk, sysadmin, webmaster
Absent:
Excused: gdo, first-year-rep, treasurer, ordinary-member
Late:


Person Year Position
chair 4th Chair
webmaster 4th Webmaster
helpdesk 4th HelpDesk
events 4th Events
ordinary-member 4th Ordinary Member
treasurer 3rd Treasurer
gdo 3rd GDO
sysadmin 3rd SysAdmin
sysadmin 2nd SysAdmin
vice-chair 2nd Vice-Chair
helpdesk 2nd HelpDesk
secretary 2nd Secretary
ordinary-member 2nd Ordinary Member
pro 2nd PRO
events 1st Events
first-year-rep 1st 1st Year Rep

Agenda:

Please add your Redbrick username beside agenda items.
If you cannot attend the meeting, please inform secretary with your reason.

  • Check previous minutes - secretary

  • Chair:

    • Sponsorship:
      • Society stance on it for future years, discuss!
    • PwC
    • Open Governance (+1 - webmaster)
    • I wrote a blog! View it here
  • Vice-Chair:

    • Linkedin man from galway - vice-chair
    • Free ticket for the ball - vice-chair
  • SysAdmins:

    • C&S maintenance - chair
    • adding all committee members to committee team in github for access to
    • solar racing website deployed fully to redbrick, thanks sysadmin - helpdesk
    • maintenance - happy updates - sysadmin
    • docs work - sysadmin
    • admin exam - sysadmin
  • Events:

    • Pancake Tuesday with Engsoc in Common room - chair
    • CS Ball Approved! - events
    • Root exam needed pre-EGM planned for next week - events
    • Tech week details? Emails still need to go out to Stripe, Demonware etc. - events
    • Hackathon @ Trinity - events
  • Treasurer:

  • HelpDesk:

    • this week’s hackerclub is rpi - helpdesk
    • I have rpi 3 form server room for demo - helpdesk
    • next week’s hackerclub is Satellite & Radio Interception by ordinary-member browser - helpdesk
  • Webmaster:

    • What happened? - webmaster
      • Webgroup:
        • lots of blockbot contributions + github activity, broadcasted in #webgroup-github (thx @sysadmin)
        • new blockbot deployment for reviewing contributed changes (thx @chair) :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:
      • Website: new preview is live (governance + blog)
    • Whats the plan? - webmaster
      • Webgroup: continue supporting blockbot contributions
      • Website: build landing page, fix bugs, add search + comments
    • What do I need? - webmaster
      • media/content for landing page + blog (drive photos, newsletters, announces)
  • Secretary:

  • PRO:

    • Following last week, C&S, Society Life, and DCU Societies have been tagged in stories posted, cheers gdo! - pro
      • Feel free to recommend other profiles to tag in the stories :)
    • Made a slight mistake last week with admin bootcamp caption :grimacing: - pro
    • Social media workshop. Went well, not much to report back - pro
    • Most/all photos taken from events uploaded to the Google Drive under Photos 23/24 - pro
      • In folders with date taken - not by event. Can change if necessary.
      • Two photos folders are still a WIP - the 2023 Redbrick Christmas Party & Hackerclub on the 17/1/24
  • GDO:

  • First Year Rep:

  • Ordinary Members:

    • Hello :) ordinary-member
    • Hi :p - helpdesk
  • Common Room Committee:

    • Still need to clean the room… - events
    • sysadmin working on thin-client-esque PC for magic room - events
  • Points of Discussion:

AOB:

  • Happy Tuesday! - secretary

Minutes:

Started at: 18:05
Does Committee agree on last weeks minutes: yes

  • Points of Info:

    • Chair Update:

      • next week - retrospective
      • Sponsorship Update:
        • talk about sponsorship during the week
        • rb hasn’t accepted it in the past, didn’t need it, contracts obligations etc, can be complicated
        • associates and rootholder donations
        • 250+ a year membership fee
        • c&S give all the money we need, don’t get money refused
        • not prizes (paypal and associate money can fund)
        • can put into open gov, descicon made on for or againts
        • pot noodle sponsorship, chair against the idea
        • what redbrick have to do in return, someone has to sign, society voluntary, person who signed deal could be gone, issues can continue
        • decicions from this years committee should not go into next years
        • C&S allow sponsorships
        • Sponsorship (Long term deal rather than single events)
        • Duration of contract possible to link when person who signed’s duration
        • If person resigns/leaves, what happens
        • Would need to bring up all issues with pot noodle/sponsors, might say it’s too much work
        • What benefit would sponsorships give us that we don’t already have?
        • Sponsorship agreement could have both logos on it
        • DCU Investing Society Setup with SMF
        • Logo beside or just a company doing stuff
        • Could be issues around buying equipment from competitors if sponsored
        • Is there a need for us to decide now?
        • Added to agenda to encourage a doc about why/why not doing sponsorships
        • need to consider what they bring to the table
        • publicity, would they promote redbrick as part of the agreement (very unlikely, companies don’t care about student societies outside of hiring)
        • could create issues if we sponsored from arista for example when running 2k games
        • would be nice to get money no strings attached
        • could look case by case
        • could go looking for sponsorships if needed
        • netsoc - sig, trinity - 4 sponsors
        • redbrick has done standing on it’s own to date
        • rules: no contracts (difficult to do for yearly commitment)
        • logos could look tacky
        • main concern: redbrick it’s own brand, not dcu networking society, would have to be proud of company to stick on it, issues of companies can affect reputation
        • delaying until later
      • pwc talk
        • tomorrow wednesday
        • committee invited, welcome to attend
        • 3 until 4
        • better if like 2 attend
        • chair is going
        • it’s about sponsorship
        • will talk about next meeting
      • blog
        • chair wrote a blog
        • go have a look!
      • open gov
        • couple of things done
        • each role has constitution
        • each person has a note
        • rb president, etc
        • main thing: usefulness of this doc only grows if you keep using it
    • Vice-Chair Update:

      • linkedin galway man
        • added, asked to promote hackathon in galway
        • was posted in external events
      • dublin cs ball free ticket
        • officially allocated to chair
        • putting it out to the wider committee population
        • doing spinny wheel to decide
        • free ticket: pro
    • SysAdmin Update:

      • c&S matinance
        • friday, c&S website offline, keith doing debian update from 10 to 12
        • all - send sysadmin your github usernames so you can get committee role to have access to repos in the github org
      • solarracing website
        • hosted on redbrick
        • went well
      • mantiance
        • went well
        • announce put out before hand
        • all upgrades were done in 30 mins, apart from nomad
        • took another hour to finished nomad
        • minecraft server turned off 3 times :(
        • testimant to last years sysadmin who setup nomad in a good way, easy to do updates
      • docs
        • looks pretty now
        • uses same themes as 11ty website
        • needs more work in terms of content
        • taking out old content that references old servers
        • would like to get webgroup docs
        • how to submit, do prs etc
        • will setup category in repo
        • 5 or 6 applicants for admin exam
        • need to kill 2 minecraft servers because we need more ram for vms
        • going from 32gb to 1024gb ram on each server in a few weeks
        • can get 800gb atm, but looking at getting the full amount
        • 64gb per stick
        • who sysadmin got for admin exam: nova, sysadmin, vice-chair, ordinary-member, niall (for fun, already passed), wilko, helpdesk, helpdesk
        • need to figure out timetable for it
      • agm
        • sysadmin would like on a thursday at 6pm
        • soonest we can do is tuesday/wednesday next week
        • 24 hour exams
        • will discuss after meeting
    • Events Update:

      • engsoc pancake tuesday
        • asked this week
        • good idea
        • events might be able to bring up a crepe maker
        • vice-chair against it, due to heating element in faculty room rule, not involved, but leave engsoc to it
        • vice-chair - let ana know that we will partake in engsoc pancake tuesday if no heating element is involved
      • CS ball approved
        • details sent off to izzy (twice) for native
      • root exam
        • needed before egm
        • results need to be know before hand
        • events won’t be here thursday next week
        • could do exam tuesday/wednesday
        • hard to get a lab room on wednesday
      • hackerclub slot wednesday for EGM
        • can likely extend room booking
        • should be 2 hours for it
        • voting and constitution reatifications
      • tech week
        • emails still need to be sent out
        • john loony details got
        • richy contacted
        • scriney not contacted
        • koffee
        • get an idea of who is coming
        • people who are good for talks chair knows
        • people: cian butler, richie walsh, ben mcmahon, cliona harrison, cormac smartt, chair (apeture talk, recorded), sysadmin
      • trinities hackathon (dogpatch)
        • share on socials, but dont do anything else
        • friday/sat/sun of techweek
    • Treasurer Update:

      • events in the process of being reimbursed (pizzas)
      • events not owed pizza money
      • kneecaps have been paid for
    • Helpdesk Update:

      • hackerclub approved: raspberry pi cool stuff
      • good to get 1st years involved
      • ordinary-member talk on radio equipment next week
      • will return pi after hackerclub
    • Webmaster Update:

      • what happened
        • lots of blockbot contributions
        • people talking, asking questions
        • github activity, need to sort out some stuff
        • broadcasted in webgroup github channel
        • only getting the important stuff
        • new system to review changes before releasing to main block (chair’s 10pm-2am ci/cd talk)
        • new preview, out of date already due to changes
        • need to get new deployment sorted
        • webmaster got his charger
        • nice formatting on website
        • style guide is ignored now
        • blogs section, author tags, reading minutes etc
      • next week
        • sheet of paper
        • getting stuff done
        • big animated landing page
        • data from previous website, services/committee
        • search on website being added
        • comments on blogs, discord reactions
        • webminions
      • what does webmaster need
        • media content for landing page
          • talked with pro, secretary about content
          • photos from pro, put in google drive, going to look into them
          • getting newsletters converted to md going back decades
          • if you have any content, send it on to webmaster
      • open gov
        • put stuff in there
        • brain dump
        • get as much content in there
        • discussion with events about events section in it
        • if not sure what to put in, just ask
      • summary
        • generate content for blog, landing page, etc
    • Secretary Update:

      • no updates
    • PRO Update:

      • c&s instagram accounts tagged
        • any suggestions to tag let pro know
      • mistake in admin bootcamp section
        • just letting people know
      • social media workshop
        • 50 people there
        • projector breaking every 5 mins
        • low res spongebob was the example of what you should not upload
      • most of pro’s photos have been uploaded to google drive
        • temporary for know, folders with date taken, can tag later, photoprims
        • 2 folders in WIP, christmas party and hackerclub that secretary took photos at it
    • GDO Update:

      • no updates
    • First Year Rep Update:

      • no updates
    • Ordinary Member Update:

      • no updates
    • Common Room Committee Update:

      • need to clean room
        • needs a sweep
        • get pcs into locker
        • some left to take home/claim
      • thin client pc
        • sysadmin working on it potentially
        • run on a user vm on apeture
        • need more ram on apeture for it
  • Points of Discussion:

  • AOB:

  • Action Items:

    • gdo - Make posters for next week’s activities
    • pro - free dublin CS ball ticket
    • all - send sysadmin your github usernames so you can get committee role to have access to repos in the github org
    • vice-chair - let ana know that we will partake in engsoc pancake tuesday if no heating element is involved
    • pro - share trinity hackathon on socials

2024-02-06 Agenda

Start Date: 2024-02-06
Present: secretary, helpdesk, pro, sysadmin, events, vice-chair, ordinary-member, helpdesk, sysadmin, webmaster, treasurer
Absent:
Excused: first-year-rep, chair, gdo, events
Late: ordinary-member


Person Year Position
chair 4th Chair
webmaster 4th Webmaster
helpdesk 4th HelpDesk
events 4th Events
ordinary-member 4th Ordinary Member
treasurer 3rd Treasurer
gdo 3rd GDO
sysadmin 3rd SysAdmin
sysadmin 2nd SysAdmin
vice-chair 2nd Vice-Chair
helpdesk 2nd HelpDesk
secretary 2nd Secretary
ordinary-member 2nd Ordinary Member
pro 2nd PRO
events 1st Events
first-year-rep 1st 1st Year Rep

Agenda:

Please add your Redbrick username beside agenda items.
If you cannot attend the meeting, please inform secretary with your reason.

AOB:

  • Happy Tuesday! - secretary

Minutes:

Started at: 18:15
Does Committee agree on last weeks minutes: yes

  • Points of Info:

    • Chair Update:

    • no updates

      • Sponsorship Update:
        • no updates
        • apart from what chair sent on committee chat thread (regarding PWC)
        • PWC
          • more info about potential sponsorship
          • after call, chat in committee room about talk
          • they sound good as a potential sponsor, won’t affect us working with other companies
          • willing to do one off events
          • will clarify with chair later
          • would be similar with how we work with Arista, no red flags
    • Vice-Chair Update:

      • engsoc
        • doing pancakes in the microwave (no heating element)
        • not sure if going ahead, will see
    • SysAdmin Update:

      • c&S site
        • keith - c&S website developer
        • hosted on a vm in redbrick, wants to upgrade debian version, 2 steps, 10-11, then 11-12
        • as of this morning, is on 12
        • friday - backups done, is happy
        • mcmahon, malachy, conor, chair helped out on friday
        • website updated
        • went down on friday/sat/sun, keeping vms active for a while
        • happy that he is happy
      • repo structure
        • lots of changes
        • for website
        • send github username to sysadmin to be added to the committee team (open gov, docs, etc)
        • should be putting stuff in open governence
        • can’t do it without being added
        • website stuff that webmaster will talk about it
        • better workflow for things
      • admin exam
        • currently ongoing
        • it’s crazy
        • sysadmin/participants having fun
    • Events Update:

      • Emails
        • Arista
          • want to know schedule
          • other companies
          • expressed interest
        • Demonware
          • want info on schedule, need to arrange rooms for talks (nursing building potentially, cg12, mcnulty)
      • tech week
        • happening on week 6
        • will get back to them this evening
      • egm
        • root exam underway
        • wednesday
      • need meeting with izzy, siobhan for techweek
        • tables in the U, space around campus
      • Stripe
        • we need contact details for
        • interested in getting them in
        • find out who stripe contact
        • ben, mag1c - r3
      • Scriney
        • scrieny hasn’t gotten back
        • vice-chair can ask after the lecture
      • event plan submissions
        • helpdesk hasn’t had to submit it twice, just duplicates and edit’s info
        • double submission of event plans has been a known issue
        • scriney, l2.31, phone on 2nd floor, can call, see if free and go in
      • meeting
        • could be more than one going
      • keith did not fix OMS submssions
        • will find out when submitting next week
    • Treasurer Update:

      • not much updates
      • need to meet with chair to refund events
        • tomorrow at the EGM
      • used ordinary-member’s money to repay pizza
    • Helpdesk Update:

      • last week
        • went swimmingly
        • ordinary-member giving satellite talk tomorrow
        • amateur radio
        • not as practical, more of a talk/demonstration
      • this week
        • sorted submitted approved
    • Webmaster Update:

      • website
        • every waking hour, working on website
        • not much different visually since last week
        • refactored underlying build system (git build, 11ty build system, 11ty logs everything)
        • instead of pining github api, we clone instead
        • data from api before, trying to do a bunch of stuff, removed 500 lines of code to get a better result
        • should be 0 bugs :eyes:
        • rest of this week, CI/CD on website, get homepage done, could possibly be out by sunday night/monday
        • need analytics, putting on apeture
        • displays like you are looking at the github repo
        • website configurable from repo
        • aim is nobody has to do html/js to change it
        • plain text everywhere
        • community apps section
        • 1st will be nova’s timetable
        • themes are modular as well, valentines theme can be added, blueblock theme, can be triggered to change on certain dates
        • need docs on how webgroup can contribute
        • hannah montana theme?
        • event competitions - let them make a theme
        • home page should be ready by tomorrow
        • photos of events, services we provide
        • need media and copy text for each section
        • everyone can contribute
    • Secretary Update:

      • no updates
    • PRO Update:

      • no updates
      • need to send out hackerclub info
    • GDO Update:

      • no updates
    • First Year Rep Update:

      • no updates
    • Ordinary Member Update:

      • talk tomorrow
      • pretty cool
      • can’t wait
    • Common Room Committee Update:

      • no updates
      • common room committee seems to be happy
      • pancake tuesday coming up
  • Points of Discusion:

  • AOB:

  • Action Items:

    • gdo - Make posters for next week’s activities
    • everyone - send sysadmin your github username in order to be added to the committee group on the redbrick organisation
    • all - make content for the homepage, write marketing text, get media, come up with stuff for the website
    • vice-chair - ask scrieny after lecture about tech week talk

Retrospective


title: 2024-02-13 Agenda
tags: minutes, committee, resign, sysadmin, md, hammered your mother
date: 2024-02-13
created: 2024-02-10


2024-02-13 Agenda

Start Date: 2024-02-13
Present: helpdesk, chair, pro, sysadmin, gdo, events, vice-chair, ordinary-member, events, helpdesk, ordinary-member, webmaster, sysadmin
Absent:
Excused: sysadmin, secretary, first-year-rep, treasurer
Late:


Person Year Position
chair 4th Chair
webmaster 4th Webmaster
helpdesk 4th HelpDesk
events 4th Events
ordinary-member 4th Ordinary Member
treasurer 3rd Treasurer
gdo 3rd GDO
sysadmin 3rd SysAdmin
sysadmin 2nd SysAdmin
vice-chair 2nd Vice-Chair
helpdesk 2nd HelpDesk
secretary 2nd Secretary
ordinary-member 2nd Ordinary Member
pro 2nd PRO
events 1st Events
first-year-rep 1st 1st Year Rep
sysadmin 1st Babymin

Agenda:

Please add your Redbrick username beside agenda items.
If you cannot attend the meeting, please inform secretary with your reason.

  • Check previous minutes - secretary

  • Chair:

    • CS Ball
  • Vice-Chair:

  • SysAdmins:

    • Admin exams went well
    • New admin (babymin) :tada: :tada:
    • Onboarding mostly complete
    • ISS responded to email
    • Hoping to have all admin purchases in motion by next week: RAM, RPis, precision screwdriver kit
  • Events:

    • OMS not fixed. Keith should resign - events
    • Committee lightning talks tomorrow! Have you submitted? - events
    • Tech Week Next Week!! Need timetable and topics sorted - events
  • Treasurer:

  • HelpDesk:

  • Webmaster:

  • Secretary:

  • PRO:

    • Claire Bodie Flynn messaged with the idea of staffing for Open Day, 13/4/24, 10am-3pm. - pro
      • Two people are required - pro
      • 60€ in participation money per person - pro
  • GDO:

  • First Year Rep:

  • Ordinary Members:

  • Common Room Committee:

    • Please don’t incite conflict with Engsoc at their event - events
  • Points of Discussion:

AOB:

  • Happy Tuesday! - secretary

Minutes:

Started at: 18:10
Does Committee agree on last weeks minutes: yes
ordinary-member minuting today! :3 Don’t say I never did anything…

  • Points of Info:

    • Chair Update:

      • Sponsorship Update:
        • Decision about events in open governance
      • CS ball: 16 tickets sold, ~140 altogether
        • TUD having issues reg. money. Should be sorted
      • Congats to webmaster on site - TY! :3
      • Thanks to sysadmin - more later
      • Thanks to events reg. Tech Week!!!
    • Vice-Chair Update:

    • SysAdmin Update:

      • Admin exams went well but over time - technical issues at start
      • New sysadmin is sysadmin!!! Welcome
      • Onboarding needs documentation updates and some revamping but nearly done
      • ISS responded, we may get discount from Dell on RAM; we may be able to go for more RAM given CnS funds
        • Other buys: RPi 4s, 5s might make more sense…
        • chair argues approval of funding, sysadmin assures we will be OK
        • chair explains Dell’s markups and pricings.
        • iFixit kit application was denied, need to explain the difference between other tools
        • Analytics server will be good, should be ready in the next day or two
        • eventsbie says mail not broke! (emailed sysadmin while he was an eepy weepy comfy guy.) We have 2 weeks to update otherwise blacklisted but lol nvm because of basic security.
        • events has examples of tools, but lets just use 3 invoices to argue differences
        • More money: Sickarus is terminal; ZFS is not happy - in order to avoid catastrophe, let CnS know that their site is at risk unless monies.
        • :sparkles::sparkles:CATASTROPHIC DATA LOSS :sparkles::sparkles:
        • 1 disk failed, 1 disk on deaths door
        • chair spills his monster - applause erupts in the committee
        • DNS backed up though! Yay!
        • Minecraft server is safe. We are so back - just moved to Aperture according to webmaster - shun this user
    • Events Update:

      • Cmt lightning talks: Submit one if you want to talk! All in cmt announcements or talk to events
      • webmaster wondering who is doing a talk - he would like to talk but is too chicken (screw you -webmaster)
      • We need: around 6-8 mins, 5 talks?
      • Has to be tech related…sorta…just not teddy related. Slightly humorous allowed. Funny but not cringe
      • sysadmin argues non-tech related to be vetted by events.
      • Submit talks to events for vetting argued by events
      • Tech week next week 1) PWC: need a time for them to talk
      • Cian and Ben: need their topics
      • If webmaster’s talk goes well tmw please talk to events
      • No qs or concerns
  • ##Techweek

    • chair enquired to cian and ben about talk titles
    • chair asks whether we have two talks per day for TW: Yes from events - Ania needs to get back to her but events is confident that each day is pretty well filled up at the moment.
    • Confusion clearance: Hackerclub should be happening in the U for TW.
    • Arista potentially on Monday; last two slots on Monday with PWCs panels - need more panelists.
    • Lightning talks on Wednesday just after Ben and Cian
    • chair: PWC can give alightning talk because no one in tech knows who they are - 15 min talk as opposed to hour long.
    • chair asks about titles on the timetable: both based on the past present and future of where RB is
    • Max’s time is confirmed with him by events
    • Scriney’s position: monday 3-4 not inputted yet but more than likely
    • Unsure who from pdubs is coming yet - helpdesk curious
    • Any qs? : NO
    • Has everyone sent on availability : most yes, some no
    • Looney is on Monday 2-3pm
  • Discussed founders for a little

  • Announce Tech Week as a bumper post; maybe as a newsletter type thing, or a tldr of newsletter.

  • Concern about a bunch of pings recently

    • Treasurer Update:

      • No updates from Treasurer
      • Nvm: Hampers paid for CnS ball
      • Prizes bought from Redbrick Cribs - delivered to chairs house tomorrow
  • Forged tastes AWFUL allegedly

    • Helpdesk Update:

      • Hackerclub went well last week - thanks ordinary-member - no prob :3
      • Tomorrows is web scraping
      • chair: as soon as you know HAckerclub get it sorted for gdo
      • No questions
    • Webmaster Update:

      • webmaster working a bunch - need to get website launched ASAP: this week preferably
      • Holy SHIT thats a great website demo
      • CTA caught us ALL off guard god DAMN - Applause
      • webmaster working on introduction, committee cards
      • sysadmin recommends associates contact card bcuz no real good bridge to alumni
      • chair link on top for this? ^
      • webmaster for ucrrent members there could be a different page to other users
      • sysadmin should be accessible via nav or home page
      • webmaster add a little minibar
      • chair make it as easy as possible for associates
      • sysadmin fun one: sign up gives an option for assocs to sign up
      • buttons and other homepage bits need to be reworked but will be done
      • Whole cmt LOVE the website! :3
      • Cmt reach out to webmaster for memorable photos to use on the sire
      • no qs or concerns for webmaster
  • Website as first talk/keynote for TW? :eyes:

  • Talk will be about webdev and a hidden gem is website announce?

  • Points of Discusion:

    • Happy Tuesday!!!
  • AOB:

    • No qs, concerns, matters arising
  • chair for future folks on future committees, when car is going 120, dont reinvent the wheel while you move.

  • We are quite ambitious at the moment for next few weeks, when things go well, keep do better, but do better to keep things easier going forward

  • webmaster stressed as well as chair do things that are beneficial and sustainable.

  • Impart knowledge to other committee members that may need to do your role!

  • Not doing anyhting? Ask if you can help! If you need help, ask folks who are not busy

  • webmaster there is always help needed on website

  • chair keep the ball rolling : )

  • Action Items:

    • gdo - Make posters for next week’s activities
    • gdo needs to learn how to change a tyre
  • Meeting ended at 18:54



title: 2024-02-20 Agenda
tags: minutes, committee, resign, sysadmin, md, hammered your mother
date: 2024-02-20
created: 2024-02-17


2024-02-20 Agenda

Start Date: 2024-02-20
Present: secretary, helpdesk, chair, pro, events, ordinary-member, helpdesk, sysadmin, webmaster, sysadmin, vice-chair, first-year-rep, gdo
Absent: ordinary-member, sysadmin, treasurer
Excused: events
Late:


Committee:

Person Year Position
chair 4th Chair
webmaster 4th Webmaster
helpdesk 4th HelpDesk
events 4th Events
ordinary-member 4th Ordinary Member
treasurer 3rd Treasurer
gdo 3rd GDO
sysadmin 3rd SysAdmin
sysadmin 2nd SysAdmin
vice-chair 2nd Vice-Chair
helpdesk 2nd HelpDesk
secretary 2nd Secretary
ordinary-member 2nd Ordinary Member
pro 2nd PRO
events 1st Events
first-year-rep 1st 1st Year Rep
sysadmin 1st SysAdmin

Agenda:

Please add your Redbrick username beside agenda items.
If you cannot attend the meeting, please inform secretary with your reason.

  • Check previous minutes - secretary

  • Chair:

    • Sponsorship:
  • Vice-Chair:

  • SysAdmins: sysadmin

    • MD broke - sysadmin should RESIGN
    • MD fixed, upgraded and migrated to aperture
      • hackmdio/hackmd:1.3.0
      • hackmdio/hackmd:1.1.0
      • codimd/codimd:1.3.0
      • hedgedoc/hedgedoc:1.6.0
      • will upgrade to latest hedgedoc soon™️
      • more info Here
      • Will have to write a blog post on it
    • In other news: chair is a GoomBean
      • mcmahon and zeus can confirm so it must be true.  is a goombean
    • sysadmin became the GDO’s intern for a day
    • zeus is being decommissioned :tada::tada::beer::beer:
    • [x] Plausible
    • [x] PasteBin (Privatebin)
    • [x] URL Shortener & tracker (shlink)
    • [ ] Grafana
    • [x] Bitwarden (vaultwarden) - ready to go
    • [ ]
    • Got quote back from Dell…
    • Need to go to CnS for moneys reasons
    • Wheatly Briefly went down RESIGN Fixed at 12am
  • Events:

    • Tech Week proceeding well - events
      • Need tripod for recording from Server room
    • Member Lightning Talks - Any submissions? - events
    • Need people to vote on best day for Airsoft
      • Site will be Khaos Airsoft - events
    • Week 7 - Reading Week Event? Party Games Night Suggested - events
    • John McKenna emailed re: DCU Access workshop, 29th. Do we want to take part? - eventsMcKenna-email
  • Treasurer:

  • HelpDesk:

    • No hackerclub for the next two weeks :broken_heart:
  • Webmaster:

    • Website is launched! Click Atlas
    • I’ll be focusing on assignments for a while, but will continue to patch the website and get it ready for handover/webgroup (and docs!).
  • Secretary:

    • C&S Awards
      • Nominations opened on OMS
      • What’s the plan?
  • PRO:

    • CS Ball: photos taken on my end to be uploaded into the Drive separately - pro
      • Folder created in the drive, feel free to send in anything that you’ve got! :)
    • Tech Week announcements (so far) have been sent out all good - pro
      • Good job on the work so far btw gdo!
  • GDO:

  • First Year Rep:

  • Ordinary Members:

    • hai :) ordinary-member
    • My blog is up, pls comment feedback etc! :)
  • Common Room Committee:

  • Points of Discussion:

AOB:

  • Happy Tuesday! - secretary

Minutes:

Started at: 13:07
Does Committee agree on last weeks minutes: yes

  • Points of Info:

    • Chair Update:

      • no updates
    • Vice-Chair Update:

      • no updates
    • SysAdmin Update:

      • codimd broke
        • migrated to hedge doc
        • chair is a goombean on zeus
        • zeus being decomissioned (everything migrated off it)
      • quote back from dell, quite expensive
        • need to go back about it
        • value (laugh): 20K for 512gb ecc ram per server (around 3TB total)
        • sysadmin needs to reply back to dell
      • chair fixed dns (well, dhcp)
        • blog post on website
      • bunch of services
        • plausible
        • pastebin
        • url shorterner (shlink)
        • bitwarden
      • wheatly went down
        • fixed at 12 am (DHCP)
    • Events Update:

      • tech week
        • yesterday went well
        • recordings of the talks
        • chair and sysadmin’s talk
        • check audio on talks - seems decent
        • helpdesk - share google drive link
        • get slides of scriney?
      • ask vice-chair for member lighning talks
        • will be shouted out at todays talks
      • need best day for airsoft votes
        • if approved tomorrow, signups can go out
        • probably around 25-30 euro, might get subsidy
        • week 8
      • end of semester plan
        • hackerclub (move hackerclub as airsoft likely wednesday) - airsoft event main event week 8
        • week 8 hackerclub (will figure it out)
        • submit event plan by the end of the week
        • 1st years interested in cyber security
        • helpdesk worked in industry, can do a longer form talk on it
      • week 7
        • no event
        • could do online games night
      • dcu access
        • outreach program
        • workshop on 29th
        • would be giving a few mins talk about redbrick, services we offer, etc
        • can talk about deployed services
        • who’s doing it: helpdesk, helpdesk & ordinary-member
      • week 9
        • dell talk
      • week 10
        • mps intersoc
      • week 11
        • agm
      • week 12
        • pub quiz, key signing thing
    • Treasurer Update:

      • no updates
    • Helpdesk Update:

      • no updates
    • Webmaster Update:

    • Secretary Update:

      • no updates
    • PRO Update:

      • no updates
    • GDO Update:

      • no updates
    • First Year Rep Update:

      • no updates
    • Ordinary Member Update:

      • no updates
    • Common Room Committee Update:

  • Points of Discusion:

  • AOB:

    • C&S Awards
      • Best Society in a Cultural/Academic/Social Field
        • Submitting
      • Best Society in a Charity/Civic Field 1
        • Not Submitting
      • Most Promising Society 1
        • 26 years, likely not for us
        • 2019, won most improved society
        • could be it’s replacement
        • could apply, say how culture has changed
        • Can apply
        • ordinary-member
      • Best New Society 1
        • Not submitting
      • Best Society Event
        • told by sarah - reviewer to submit CS ball
        • could submit tech week, although it’s a bunch of events 1
      • Best Society Collaboration 1
        • not submitting
      • Best Society Publicity Campaign 1
        • christmas party
      • Best Society Promotional Video 1
        • christmas party
      • Best Society Photograph 1
        • pro, take your pick
        • can do google form and get committee to vote
        • one that’s everywhere on c&S
      • Best Society Poster or Graphic 1
        • gdo’s area
        • any ones you like suggest
        • tech week ones?
        • admin bootcamp
      • Alumni Engagement Award 1
        • should be good
        • we have a bunch of engaged alumni
      • Graduate Contribution to a Club or Society
        • graduates making contribute, ben, cormac
      • Best Society Fresher
        • first-year-rep is writing this, can see chair and sysadmin’s one
        • sysadmin and events can go for this also (3 people)
        • dosen’t have to be committee
        • can do vote, do anonymously
        • strawpoll going out (https://strawpoll.com/xVg7jkkOQnr)
        • sysadmin nominated
      • Individual Contribution to Society Life
      • Who’s writing each section
        • vice-chair writing about CS ball for best event
        • ordinary-member writing about academic society
        • first-year-rep writing most promising society
        • webmaster writing alumni engagement
        • gratuate writes graduate one
        • individual contribution - each person writes
  • Action Items:

    • gdo - Make posters for next week’s activities
    • sysadmin - reply back to dell about ram
    • helpdesk - share google drive link with recordings
    • events - ask for slides of scriney
    • helpdesk, helpdesk - submit hackerclub event plan by the end of the week
    • helpdesk, helpdesk, ordinary-member - dcu access workshop 29th feb
    • vice-chair - writing about CS ball for best event
    • ordinary-member - writing about academic society
    • webmaster - writing alumni engagement
    • chair, sysadmin - writing individual contributionc
    • sysadmin - writing best society fresher

2024-03-05 Agenda

  • Start Date: 2024-03-05
  • Present: secretary, helpdesk, chair, pro, sysadmin, gdo, events, first-year-rep, vice-chair, ordinary-member, events, ordinary-member, treasurer, sysadmin, helpdesk
  • Absent: sysadmin
  • Excused:
  • Late: webmaster

Person Year Position
chair 4th Chair
webmaster 4th Webmaster
helpdesk 4th HelpDesk
events 4th Events
ordinary-member 4th Ordinary Member
treasurer 3rd Treasurer
gdo 3rd GDO
sysadmin 3rd SysAdmin
sysadmin 2nd SysAdmin
vice-chair 2nd Vice-Chair
helpdesk 2nd HelpDesk
secretary 2nd Secretary
ordinary-member 2nd Ordinary Member
pro 2nd PRO
events 1st Events
first-year-rep 1st 1st Year Rep
sysadmin 1st SysAdmin

Agenda:

Please add your Redbrick username beside agenda items.
If you cannot attend the meeting, please inform secretary with your reason.

  • Check previous minutes - secretary

Chair:

  • Sponsorship:

Vice-Chair:

SysAdmins:

  • School of Communications Website Hosting
  • limits setup on pyg and azazel - prevent fork bombs - sysadmin
  • zeus is ready to die
  • RAM order is making progress… will take some time
  • ISS CyberSec

Events:

  • Dell will do talk - just not next week - events
  • MPS intersoc - what do? where go? I decide? - events
  • Airsoft intersoc went pear shaped. ‘…for the people, by the people, but the people are silly’ - events
  • PTSB is happening next year. Grand job - events
  • Need to book Nubar for quiz and arrange questions - events

Treasurer:

  • capitation requests submitted - treasurer
  • need to reimburse via bank app myself (157€ -> 62€ + 95€) and chair (152€) - treasurer
  • oops also forgot to put in drive but i will - at somepoint - treasurer

HelpDesk:

  • no hackerclub this week :( - helpdesk
  • next week’s hackerclub is about Shell Scripting - helpdesk

Webmaster:

Secretary:

  • School of Communications Website Hosting
  • PTSB Email

PRO:

  • PTSB Graduate Programme 2023/2024 was not sent out (in #external-events) due to when informed; closing date of the graduate programme was 5/3/24 (today). - pro
  • I’ll send out an announcement regarding Airsoft cancellation on discord and on socials. - pro

GDO:

First Year Rep:

  • happy to be here - first-year-rep

Ordinary Members:

  • hai :3 ordinary-member
  • dating life - ordinary-member
  • I simply cannot remember what i was going to put in ordinary-member

Common Room Committee:

Points of Discussion:

AOB:

  • Happy Tuesday! - secretary
  • can people stop getting pregnant plzzz
  • Vote please! Otherwise, communism!

Minutes:

Started at: 18:07
Does Committee agree on last weeks minutes: yes

Points of Info:

Chair Update:

  • no updates
  • stuff for events officers
    • 3 events left, agm, quiz, week 10 event

Vice-Chair Update:

  • no updates

SysAdmin Update:

  • school of comms
    • member of faculty sent email to chair (chair of rb back in the day, donal)
    • looking for hosting 1st year web design websites on redbrick
    • no technical limitation due to how we are set up right now (public html and just hosted)
    • no reason why theirs shouldn’t work
    • will pay us to host websites, ftp and basic website structure
    • contract running out for their existing system, want to save money and work with rb
    • not sure how we can get paid (heanet policy)
    • chair replied with email, will chat to una (CFO for OSL)
    • will get number of students doing multimedia module x membership fee paid to us by school of comms
  • helpdesk redbrick exploits
    • playing with fork bombs
    • pyg and azazel
    • fixed now, ulimits set up properly
    • max of 128 processes now, will lock their user account
    • solution documented in rbadmin private on how to fix
    • will be warned not to do it again
  • zeus ready to die
    • everything important off him
    • all docker files uploaded to it’s git repo
    • databases on /storage
    • killing party/ceremony whenever we want
    • sysadmin - decide on when that will be
  • open gov
    • signing ceremony
    • can kill zeus during this also, make it a big thing
    • evening, get rootholders in (pints and butlerx in particular)
    • ordinary-member’s bricks to destroy hard drives?
  • dell order
    • kinda crazy (not funny haha)
    • 20k for 3tb of ram, highest end ddr4 ecc
    • need to bring to c&s
    • emailed other companies to get proper pricing for c&s
    • will see what we can do
    • at minimum 256gb of ram per server
    • highest capacity dimms as possible
    • will take time
    • next year - when you request budget, spend it as soon as you can
  • ISS cybersec
    • seb from iss offering enterprise endpoint monitoring solution for free
    • will decline
    • bug bounty program, can have it done against redbrick
    • going to company, not a student
    • company will attack redbrick, show what they done and how to fix
    • 1st one no, 2nd one go for it
  • Email stuff
    • hasn’t gone yet
    • setting up mail server on mail.rb.dcu.ie
    • bunch of docker containers
    • can test and configure there
    • once we have enough ram, can replace and update
    • bottleneck is the ram

Events Update:

  • dell
    • will give a talk
    • not next week
    • might have to put off to week 10
  • next week
    • not sure
  • ptsb
    • next year
  • mps
    • prob too short notice
    • could do a console event
    • or no event is ok
  • events
    • could go for webgroup event
    • bunch of tickets, people do them
  • airsoft intersoc
    • got cancelled, people didn’t sign up
    • no signups from redbrick
    • events only one to sign up
    • due to 1st and 2nd years having exam on wednesday
    • was originally going to be thursday
    • poll went for wednesday, event cancelled
  • week 12
    • need to book nubar to quiz
    • talk to ash
    • make questions
  • this week
    • events - submit agm and quiz event forms this week
    • end of year quiz, get alumni in

Treasurer Update:

  • cap requests
    • all ones for this semester submitted
    • have not submitted requiest for cribs
    • chair and treasurer owned money
    • won’t give out money for prizes
    • reciepets to go into drive after approved
    • sysadmin - set up paperless instance for reciepets, no need for drive anymore
    • easy searching, content of documents
    • pizza caps submitted

Helpdesk Update:

  • this week
    • no hackerclub due to supposed event wednesday
    • only other time was 1 hour thursday
  • next week
    • study for shell exam
    • come up with name for event

Webmaster Update:

  • no updates
  • website up
    • images not compressed on mobile, same with don’t miss out
    • not fully optimised yet
    • up to webgroup to assign tickets and work on stuff

Secretary Update:

  • no updates
  • someone - write doc into open goverance about ptsb email

PRO Update:

  • ptsb grad email announcement post
    • closing date today
    • was too late to send out
    • email got spam filtered

GDO Update:

  • no updates

First Year Rep Update:

  • happy to be here

Ordinary Member Update:

  • no updates

Common Room Committee Update:

  • subway surfers
  • engsoc
    • new committee
    • don’t want any issues
    • ordinary-member not on committee anymore

Points of Discusion:

  • free c&s ball ticket
    • who got it - helpdesk

AOB:

  • vote in SU elections!

Action Items:

  • gdo - Make posters for next week’s activities
  • sysadmin - decide on when zeus will be killed
  • events - submit agm and quiz event forms this week
  • someone - make questions for pub quiz
  • sysadmin - set up paperless instance for reciepets, no need for drive anymore
  • helpdesk, helpdesk - come up with name for next week’s hackerclub
  • helpdesk - free c&s ball ticket
  • all - vote in SU elections